Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this in Ladies Home Journal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in cubes
- 8 small potatoes, quartered (about 1lb.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Rinse pork and pat dry; season with salt & pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbls. oil in a heavy 5-quart pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add pork, in 3 batches, and cook, turning, until golden brown, about 6 minute per batch (adding oil, 1 tbls. at a time, as needed).
- Transfer, as cooked, with a slotted spoon to a bowl, leaving fat in pot.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1-1/2 tbls. oil to fat in pot and heat over moderately high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, until golden brown, about 3 minute
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to bowl with pork.
- Add potatoes, onion and garlic to pot; cook over moderately high heat until onion is softened, about 3 minute.
- Stir in broth, corn, adobo sauce and peanut butter.
- Return pork and chicken to pot with any drippings and push into liquid.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, meat is cooked through and potatoes are fork tender, 35 min.; salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle stew into bowls and garnish with cilantro, if desired.