Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Cooking Light. Serve with jicama, roasted red peppers and avacado wrapped in soft corn or flour tortillas-or spoon over rice.
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boston butt, trimmed and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 canned canned chipotle chile, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Combine 1st 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high. Remove pork from bag. Add pork to pan; cook 10 min, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or til lightly browned. Stir in salt, cumin, and chile. Return pork to pan and add broth. Bring to a simmer; cover. Cook 2 hours or til very tender. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro and juice.
I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this recipe before. It is delicious! If you like carnitas, this is definitely the one for you. I lived in Southern California for over 30 years and I know authentic Mexican food; this is the real deal.