Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
What a fantastic way to have carnitas any time of the day or night! If you do not care for cilantro, you may use chopped parsley in it's place. This is great for large groups of friends or small get-togethers. Here's a tip: I buy Pork Butt Roasts, bone-in. All you have to do is remove the bone. You just take a sharp knife and grab ahold of the bone, take your knife and just run it around the bone. It's so easy, I know you can do it. Those pork butt roasts, sometimes called Boston Butt Roasts, are really inexpensive. Much cheaper than pork chops. You are paying for the bone, but it's so easy to take out. And, it's a very flavorful piece of meat. That's all I use for my Mexican food recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pork, sliced thin into 1 by 1/2 inch strips (leftovers works great)
- 4 tablespoons onions, chopped and divided
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 12 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh tomato, seeded and chopped
- Saute pork, 3 tablespoons onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in small skillet over low heat.
- Saute till onion is soft, about3 to 4 minutes. Add lime juice and remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoons butter in large nonstick, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. While butter is melting, whisk eggs, water, salt together in large bowl till light and fluffy. When butter is bubbly, pour 1/2 of egg mixture into skillet. Cover and cook till eggs are set on bottom (they may still be runny on top).
- Sprinkle pork mixture evenly over eggs. Carefully pour remaining eggs over pork, cover and place in preheated 350°F oven for about 12 to 16 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven till cheese is melted, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro leaves, tomato and remaining 1 tablespoons onion. Let set 5 minutes before cutting.