I want to give credit where credit is due, this is from "A Family Feast" by Martha. I love this version, and the beautiful, caramelized crust is just wonderful!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs pork butt, cut into large pieces at least 2x2
- 1 lb lard
- 1⁄2 orange, skin on, quartered
- 1 lime, skin on, quartered
- 4 medium garlic cloves, skinned but whole, slightly smashed
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- 2. In a 9x11x2 casserole dish, place all ingredients. Cover and bake for five hours.
- 3. Remove from oven, and scoop out meat with a strainer. Dispose of remaining liquids and solids.
- 4. Brush a sheet pan with the olive oil, and place the pork, single layer, and put under the broiler for five minutes. Watch it! Don't let the meat dry out, or burn!
- 5. Serve with tortillas, flour or corn. Add some cilantro or extra onion if you like.