Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I want to give credit where credit is due, this is from "A Family Feast" by Martha. I love this version, and the beautiful, caramelized crust is just wonderful!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs pork butt, cut into large pieces at least 2x2
- 1 lb lard
- 1⁄2 orange, skin on, quartered
- 1 lime, skin on, quartered
- 4 medium garlic cloves, skinned but whole, slightly smashed
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- 2. In a 9x11x2 casserole dish, place all ingredients. Cover and bake for five hours.
- 3. Remove from oven, and scoop out meat with a strainer. Dispose of remaining liquids and solids.
- 4. Brush a sheet pan with the olive oil, and place the pork, single layer, and put under the broiler for five minutes. Watch it! Don't let the meat dry out, or burn!
- 5. Serve with tortillas, flour or corn. Add some cilantro or extra onion if you like.
So good! Not good for you, lol, but definitely worth the splurge now and then! DH was pouting yesterday when I was making this because he wanted fish for dinner, but as soon as I gave him a bit of the freshly crisped up meat, he totally forgot about the fish. We enjoyed this with warm corn tortillas, jalapenos en escabeche, cilantro and some homemade habanero salsa verde (oh, and fresh sliced radishes on the side, too). Definitely a winner, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2014
Delicious, wonderful carnitas. I will definitely be making this again. Made for PAC Spring 2014.