Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nice served with fresh bread to mop up the sauce. If you have a smallish casserole dish that can be used on stove as well as in oven, I recommend you use that for all the steps. I used a separate casserole simply because I didn't have the right size stove-safe one. I used a home made turkey stock for this dish. I do recommend you use a high quality, or home made stock here, because the flavour of the sauce is all about the stock. After cooking, I had to play with the sauce a bit to thicken it to my taste. How thick you want it is purely a personal matter. Add more or less flour to suit your preference.
- 2 pork butterfly steaks
- 1 leek
- 1 handful chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄4 metric cup cream
- 1⁄4 metric cup brandy
- 1 metric cup chicken stock or 1 metric cup turkey stock
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Chop up the leeks into slices.
- Peel and core the apple, then cut into slices.
- Heat up the olive oil in a deep fry pan or sauce pan, or in the stove top safe casserole.
- Brown the pork steaks then remove and set aside on plate.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Add the leeks and stirfry til soft.
- Add the brandy and cook the alcohol out.
- Add the stock and simmer slowly til reduced by about half.
- Add the paprika.
- Add the dash of cream, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the pork steaks then the sauce over the top in the casserole.
- Lay the apple slices on top and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Bake for about 40 mins.
- Remove from oven and place pork steaks with vegetables on the plates.
- Cover with foil to rest meat.
- Either put the stove-safe casserole back on stove, or return sauce to sauce pan and then onto stove on a low-medium heat.
- Mix up the flour with some of the sauce in a separate cup (if you wish to have a thickened sauce. if not, just serve immediately).
- Add flour paste mixture to sauce and stir to thicken.
- Pour sauce over meat and vegetables.