Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Spirited rendition of Pork Potatoes and Cabbage with a nice meld of flavors enhanced by the wee bit of Apple Jack in the recipe. I would serve it with a Merlot (Red Merlot sometimes called Merlot Noir) or a Cabernet Sauvignon. If it were being served at a very casual affair you could also go with an apple wine, but for a more formal diner I stand with my above suggestions.
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cleaned,quartered and pounded
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup julienned onion
- 1 cup diced mushroom
- 2 ounces apple jack
- 1 cup demi-glace (brown gravy)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 lb shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄4 lb diced bacon
- 1 apple, cored peeled and diced
- 2 ounces cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 lbs peeled cooked and shredded potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- For cabbage: Sauté bacon until cooked- add cabbage, cook 5-8 minutes and add apples, vinegar and salt& pepper- cook until cabbage is soft.
- For Rösti: Peel& boil potatoes until just cooked through.
- Cool completely, then shred.
- In a hot, non-stick pan, add canola oil, potatoes, sprinkle with salt& pepper and garlic.
- Cook on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes.
- For pork: Dredge pork in flour and add to pan with melted butter.
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side, then set aside.
- Add onions and mushrooms to pan, deglaze with apple jack and cook onions and mushrooms about 1 minute.
- Add demi-glaze and mustard and mix all well.
- Place pork on a plate with the rösti and cabbage and spoon gravy over pork.