1/1 Photo of Pork Belly
2 hrs 15 mins
I buy meat from an Asian butcher in Northbridge, Perth, where I am usually the only non-Asian. I've seen many Asian women buying lots of pork belly slabs, so I bought one & searched for a recipe. This one is from an Aussie site. The original recipe called for no bones with skin. I used a pork belly with bones & it worked well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 800 g pork belly, with skin on
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (salt reduced is best)
- 1/4 cup Chinese wine or 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 inch gingerroot, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 fresh plums, cut into 8 pieces or 4 canned plums, cut into 8 pieces each
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Shallowly cut pork skin diagonally 1" apart.
- 3Combine oil & salt. Rub into pork skin & between the cuts.
- 4Combine water, stock, soy sauce, wine, sugar, garlic, cinnamon,, chili flakes, OJ, cloves, fennel seeds in a large, shallow baking dish.
- 5Place pork intp the pan on the above mixture.
- 6Roast for 1 hour & 20 minutes.
- 7Increase heat to very high & cook until crackling is crisp. (Or remove from oven, remove skin, put on a rack under a high grill until crackling is crisp). Keep pork warm.
- 8Strain liquid from the baking pan into a saucepan, skim off any surface fat, bring to boil then add plum wedges. Reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- 9Serve with rice & steamed Asian greens.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Belly
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1193.0
- Calories from Fat 984
- Total Fat 109.3 g
- Saturated Fat 39.3 g
- Cholesterol 146.9 mg
- Sodium 1872.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 23.3 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: