My best friend, Deb, bought me a class at a Thai cooking school for my birthday. This was my favourite recipe. The most important thing I learned was, when it comes to Thai cooking, don't use substitutes - you only get the real flavour if you take the trouble to buy the right ingredients. This should be cooked in a wok, but a frypan will do if you don't have one. Don't be worried by the chillies, this dish is mild - as long as you remove the seeds from the chillies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g pork fillets, chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely sliced (use golden or red shallots)
- 2 large red chilies, deseeded then finely chopped
- 2 large green chilies, deseeded then finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn (use Thai basil if available, but sweet basil will be fine)
- vegetable oil
- white pepper
- 1Prepare all ingredients in advance.
- 2Place wok or pan over a moderate heat and add 2 tablespoons oil.
- 3Add garlic and stir fry gently until it is just starting to colour lightly.
- 4Add the sliced shallots and stir fry for a few minutes until they are transparent.
- 5Remove garlic and shallots to another dish and set aside until needed.
- 6Add a little more oil to the pan and increase heat.
- 7Stir fry pork, in batches, until it is coloured (it doesn't have to be cooked through).
- 8When the last batch of pork is cooked, add the shallots and garlic and the remaining pork to the pan.
- 9Add the chillies and stir fry for a minute or two.
- 10Now add the oyster sauce, fish sauce and palm sugar.
- 11Stir fry for about 5 minutes or so until pork is cooked and the sauce is slightly caramelised.
- 12Add basil and stir fry until wilted.
- 13Before serving, sprinkle lightly with white pepper.
- 14Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork, Basil and Chilli Stir Fry - Thai Style
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 1012.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 29.1 g