Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Pork Barbecue, North Carolina Style
- 4 -6 lbs boston butt, roast, trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put roast in roasting pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well.
- Pour mixture over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 5-6 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove from oven; let cool.
- Skim fat from surface of sauce. Remove roast from sauce.
- Remove meat from bone and chop meat. Return chopped meat to sauce in pan and stir well.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Not bad, but not North Carolina style. Our BBQ never has ketchup (catsup).
This was my first try at cooking barbeque too. I made it to the recipe and it turned out very well, although I was a little disappointed in the mild flavor. I know there are many kinds of barbeque so I look forward to trying some others too. Thanks for giving me a good start on my barbeque journey!
I made this tonight. It was my first experience with cooking pork barbecue of any kind. It was fabulous. I made it just like the recipe calls for. I served with spinach dip/chips and baked beans. Thanks!