Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
These tasty little morsels can be made ahead of time and then just reheated when you're ready. Serve them as a main course, with a bowl of tzatziki. You could also top the dish with some finely sliced spring onions.
- 75 g couscous
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 egg
- 1 kg ground pork
- salt and pepper
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 350 g spinach, shredded
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- Place the couscous in a bowl and cover with 150ml boiling water.
- Cover and leave to"cook".
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add half the onion plus all of the garlic, rosemary and lemon zest.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Spread out the contents of the pan in a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Trim the stalks from the coriander, then chop the leaves and fine stalks.
- Add half the coriander to a mixing bowl and combine with the egg and pork as well as some salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add the couscous too.
- Use your hands to mix everything together, forming it into a ball.
- Rinse your hands, then pinch off small pieces and form into individual balls about the size of a cherry tomato.
- Transfer to a plate as you go.
- When done, cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge.
- Now make the sauce.
- Dissolve the chicken stock cubes in 1 1/2 litres of boiling water.
- Heat the butter in a large pan.
- Stir in the remaining onion and cook until lightly browned.
- Sift the flour over the top, stir until it disappears, then add the hot stock.
- Stir constantly as it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook gently for five minutes.
- Then add in the spinach and remaining coriander.
- Cook for five more minutes, then juice the lemon into the pan.
- Drop the chilled meatballs into the simmering sauce.
- Return to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Shake the pan every so often to make sure the meatballs are covered.
- When the meat is cooked through serve over rice.