Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rice is an integral part of the Chinese New Year celebratory meal. Representing fertility, luck and wealth, it is the cornerstone of many iconic dishes. What's more, with its stickiness representing the family bond, rice is an ideal part of a meal shared between loved ones. This easy to prepare dish from Uncle Ben's has impressive and diverse flavours of meat and vegetables with the rice. It's also a quick meal solution for any weeknight.
- 1 cup Uncle Ben's converted brand rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup leftover roast pork, cut in small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup cooked baby shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots for about 4 minutes or until starting to soften. Push carrots to side of pan and add remaining oil. Cook egg, stirring, for 30 seconds or until set. Mix carrots into egg. Stir in rice, pork, shrimp, peas, green onions and soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- For more Chinese New Year recipes, or to learn about the new aspects of the celebration taking place this year, visit www.EasyFortune2016.ca.