Recipe by gailanng
An Asian twist on a burger from The AU Women's Weekly. Tip: To make breadcrumbs: Remove the crusts from 2- to 3-day-old bread. Using a food processor, process until the crumbs are coarse.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup stale breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, roots and stems
- 1 small fresh red chili, seeded and chopped finely
- 8 green onions, sliced thinly (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 bread rolls or 4 buns
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts or 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout
- 1⁄4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄3 cup sweet chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the pork, egg, breadcrumbs, fish sauce, paste, cilantro roots and stems, chilli and half the green onion in a medium bowl. (Note: the mixture may be salted, if desired.) Mix thoroughly with your hands until well combined and sticky. Divide the mixture into four portions; shape portions into large flat patties. Sprinkle both sides of patties with sesame seeds; press firmly into the patties.
- Meanwhile, heat the flat plate of a barbecue over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the oil over the barbecue plate. Cook the patties for 4 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes on the other side. The patties should be browned and cooked through.
- Split each bread roll in half; grill or toast each side. Place some carrot on the base of each bun, then top with a patty, bean sprouts, remaining green onion and cilantro leaves. Drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and top with the remaining bread top.