1 hr 15 mins
A special goulash that's really not much work - very tasty and full of old fashioned flavor! Home style cooking at its best. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup water (stock preferred)
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (about 20 oz) or 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 3 cups sauerkraut
- 1/2-1 teaspoon caraway seed (to your preferred taste - if you don't know, start with 1/2)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Melt together the butter and olive oil in a heavy pot (one with a lid) and sauté the pork cubes and bacon until lightly browned.
- 2Add the onion, green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, and paprika.
- 3Sauté until vegetables have softened just beyond crisp and add the bay leaf, chicken stock, tomatoes, sauerkraut, and caraway seeds.
- 4Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Remove the bay leaf and serve hot with a generous dollop of sour cream with each serving (goes well with cooked noodles!).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Sauerkraut Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.4
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 189.5 mg
- Sodium 777.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 45.0 g