Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A special goulash that's really not much work - very tasty and full of old fashioned flavor! Home style cooking at its best. :)
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup water (stock preferred)
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (about 20 oz) or 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 3 cups sauerkraut
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon caraway seed (to your preferred taste - if you don't know, start with 1/2)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- Melt together the butter and olive oil in a heavy pot (one with a lid) and sauté the pork cubes and bacon until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, and paprika.
- Sauté until vegetables have softened just beyond crisp and add the bay leaf, chicken stock, tomatoes, sauerkraut, and caraway seeds.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve hot with a generous dollop of sour cream with each serving (goes well with cooked noodles!).