Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I had some lean, boneless pork chops on hand and had a craving for sauerkraut, but without any apples (which I usually cook with). I threw all these ingredients together and had a pleasant surprise for supper. Served this concoction over boiled potatoes....and, me being me, I added a dollop of sour cream on top....thought I was in heaven. I don't think that there is another identical recipe on the Zaar.....could add caraway seeds, but DH doesn't like them, so I don't use them, but would change the taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or 1/2 oil and 1/2 butter)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork butt, cut into bite size cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- saute onion and garlic in the 2 tbsp of olive oil til soft
- add sauerkraut, tomato paste, sugar and chicken broth.
- mix together and put in crock pot.
- saute pork cubes, in batches, in olive oil til browned.
- add to crock pot and stir together.
- cook on HIGH for approx, 5 hours.
- serve over boiled potatoes or noodles.