Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
This tasty recipe originally came from my Grandmother's Hungarian neighbor. This goes well with a simple potato dish,a side of carrots are a must for me when I have it, and a nice crusty bread.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Wonderful! This is very tasty. My light beer was Yuengling Premium Light. I tossed in about 3 large cubed potatoes and made it a one-dish meal/stew. This is quite a treat for pork & sauerkraut lovers. Thanx!
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions (sliced thin)
- 2 lbs pork (cut in 1-inch cubes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 (12 ounce) can light beer
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut (rinsed and well drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over med-low heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the pork and slowly brown all sides of the meat, stirring continuously. About 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the black pepper and sugar over the meat and onions, and stir well.
- Stir-fry all for about 3 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic, paprika, and the caraway seeds.
- Add 1/2 of the can of beer,cover,and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding the rest of the beer as needed.
- Stir in the rinsed and WELL drained sauerkraut and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the sour cream, stir and cook for 3 more minutes.