1/2 Photos of Pork and Sauerkraut a La Budapest
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Bert's Kitchen Witch's Note:
This tasty recipe originally came from my Grandmother's Hungarian neighbor. This goes well with a simple potato dish,a side of carrots are a must for me when I have it, and a nice crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions (sliced thin)
- 2 lbs pork (cut in 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 (12 ounce) can light beer
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sauerkraut (rinsed and well drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over med-low heat.
- 2Add onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until translucent.
- 3Add the pork and slowly brown all sides of the meat, stirring continuously. About 10 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle the black pepper and sugar over the meat and onions, and stir well.
- 5Stir-fry all for about 3 minutes longer.
- 6Add the garlic, paprika, and the caraway seeds.
- 7Add 1/2 of the can of beer,cover,and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding the rest of the beer as needed.
- 8Stir in the rinsed and WELL drained sauerkraut and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add in the sour cream, stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Sauerkraut a La Budapest
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 768.0
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 235.5 mg
- Sodium 1788.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 71.7 g