1/1 Photo of Pork and Red Chili Stew
4 hrs 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. This is a real meat and potatoes meal. The filling also makes awesome burritos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 dried new mexico red chili pods, medium heat
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato, not oil packed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- pepper, taste
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs lean pork loin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1Wash the chili pods removing seeds. Please note that the heat of the chili is found in the seeds and ribs. You may leave in some of the seeds if you want a spicier dish. Place chili pods, sun dried tomatoes and 1 cup of broth in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover and allow to steep while browning the onions and meat.
- 2In a heavy skillet or Dutch Oven, cook bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from fat and set aside to drain. Discard the fat, add in 1 tablespoon olive oi to pan and warm over medium heat. When warm add in chopped onion and garlic. Cook until onions begin to brown. Transfer to crock-pot.
- 3Cut the pork loin into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes. Mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Place pork in container with tight fighting lid, sprinkle with seasoned flour, cover and shake to lightly coat the meat.
- 4Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet and cook meat in small batches until lightly browned, adding in additional oil as needed. As meat is browned transfer to crock-pot with onions and garlic. De-glaze the pan with a small amount of broth.
- 5Place the chili pods and sun dried tomatoes in blender container. Add in salt, pepper to taste. Process until smooth adding remaining broth. Pour over meat in crock-pot, stir in ground cumin, oregano and bay leaves. Crumble bacon and stir into mixture. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- 6The last 45 to 60 minutes of cooking add in the package of Simply Potatoes and turn up to high. Stew will be thick. Continue to cook until potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- 7Serve with tortillas of choice or use filling to make burritos.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Red Chili Stew
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.2
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 125.3 mg
- Sodium 869.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 47.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion