Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a Sara Moulton Recipe. Sweet and spicy comfort food.
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, cut in large dice
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and cut into large dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into large dice
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 cups cola
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or a medium-size heavy pot over high heat. Add the pork and potatoes to the hot oil and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onion, poblano chiles, and bell pepper. Continue cooking until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over meat and veges and stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add the orange juice and cola. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced to sauce consistency, 40 to 50 minutes.
We used all the ingredients as written, but I did not cut up the pork..( we used pork sirloin roast which is what DH defrosted by accident) :) Placed it in the dutch oven whole...and braised for several hours. The peppers, onions, cola (we used Coke Zero lol) and OJ made a FABULOUS flavored sauce!! We tossed in baby yukons the last 45 minutes of braising which was perfect! Thank you for posting!! PS Next time we will probably add a couple of jalapenos as well as the pablanos for just a little heat :)
This soup was excellent - full of flavor and exactly as the recipe said, sweet and spicy. The only thing is the recipe does not say when to add the flour - I stirred this in with the vegetables/pork just prior to adding the liquids - that worked out well.