Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Bake this loaf a couple days ahead of time to let flavors develop.
- 3 lbs ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup whole pistachio nut
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- miniature party rye rounds
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onion in butter until tender but not browned.
- In large mixing bowl combine eggs, wine, vinegar, salt, basil, thyme and onion mixture.
- Add ground pork; mix well.
- Press half pork mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; arrange whole pistachio nuts atop.
- Lightly press in remaining pork mixture.
- Top with the bay leaves; cover with foil and place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Pour boiling water in pan around loaf to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven; drain off fat.
- Replace foil; chill overnight.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Loosen loaf and turn out onto serving platter.
- Stir together sour cream and mayonnaise; spread atop pate.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachio nuts around edges of loaf.
- Serve with party rye bread.