Prep 18 mins
Cook 6 mins
Serve these delicious patties with a vegetable stir-fry. Adapted from a 1992 "Australian Women's Weekly Menu Planner". The preparation time includes 10 minutes for the mushroom mixture to cool after being sautéed. This recipe is suitable for freezing.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 150 g baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 750 g ground pork
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup soft stale bread crumb
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan (preferably non-stick), add the onion and ginger, and sauté while stirring, until the onion is soft but not browned.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté while stirring, until the mushrooms are soft.
- Allow the mushroom mixture to cool. (10 minutes is probably sufficient. Transfer the mixture from the sauté pan to a cold bowl and, after a few minutes, put the bowl in the fridge.).
- Combine the cooled mushroom mixture, minced pork, egg, breadcrumbs, hoisin sauce and spice in a bowl and mix until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape into patties.
- Heat the extra oil in the sauté pan, add the patties and sauté, turning after about 3 minutes.
- Sauté the patties until they have browned and are cooked right through. (6-10 minutes).
- Serve the patties ganished with parsley, with a vegetable stir-fry.
These were really good! I thought they could have used a little salt but DH thought they were perfect. I served with a veggie stir fry as suggested and it was a great meal. I will definitely make these again. Thanks Bluemoon!
I prepared these to give to my DS to freeze, and doubled the ingredients, but I have been informed that he has already cooked them up for football Sunday! I decreased the five-spice powder and added in fresh minced garlic about 2 tablespoons, I subbed the yellow onion with green onion, I have been told that these are awesome burgers, so I assume they will be enjoyed by all! thanks bluemoon! ...Kittencal:)