Tender, tasty pork chops in a creamy vegetable sauce. I paired it with Carol Bullock's Greek Potatoes (Greek Potatoes) and it was a big hit. Also served green beans and sliced carrots. I omitted the salt from the chops as there was enough in the (low sodium) soup for our tastes.
- 4 -6 pork loin chops, 3/4-inch thick
- salt and pepper, and
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) can reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄3 cup water or 1⁄3 cup milk
- Season chops with pepper and paprika. Saute chops at low temperature in butter. Season with salt*(optional).
- Transfer loin chops to baking dish or casserole.
- Combine celery, onions, parsley flakes, mushroom soup, mushrooms and water.
- Pour the mushroom mixture over the pork chops.
- Cook convered, in 350F oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn chops, stir sauce and cook for another 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- *add optional salt after chops are browned.
These chops were tasty and quite healthy. I could have probably cooked them for less time and maybe added a little more seasoning, but I really like all of the veggies and the simplicity of the recipe. I also just used a touch of olive oil to brown them. We had these on a bed of high fibre pasta. Made for Pick A Chef 2011 for my adopted chef and fellow Canadian, Hedda Lettuce in Ontario! Thanks! :)
Great tasting chops. The recipe doesn't say if the cover should be on or off for the second half of the oven time. I left it on and the gravy ended up being very thin, so do remove the cover for the last 30 mins. I didn't use the butter but just browned the chops in a Pam sprayed skillet. For the water I used mushroom water from the can. Made for PAC, Spring 09.