1/2 Photos of Pork and Lentil Cassoulet
4 hrs 20 mins
This variation on cassoulet uses lentils instead of the traditional white beans. In place of pork, you may substitute beef bottom round. *EDIT*I have had a problem with the lentil's cooking well in the crock pot. I suggest that you pre-soak them for an hour prior to adding them to the crock pot and cook on high and allowing for an extra 1/2 hours cooking time if it's needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 4 medium carrots, and sliced 1/2 inch thick (2 cups) or 4 medium parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick (2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- 1Trim fat from pork and cut meat into 3/4-inch cubes.
- 2In a large nonstick skillet brown pork, onion, and garlic in hot oil.
- 3Transfer mixture to a 3-1/2- to 4-quart electric crockery cooker, add water, undrained tomatoes, carrots or parsnips, celery, lentils, rosemary, bouillon granules, salt, and pepper.
- 4Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours (12 hours if using the low-heat setting).
- 5Garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig, if desired.
- 6Make-Ahead Tip: Slice vegetables the night before; add seasonings. Cover and chill until ready to assemble in crockery cooker.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Lentil Cassoulet
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.2
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 426.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 19.8 g