HEP MEP's Note:
This is a great winter recipe - especially for us Wisconsin-ites! Warms you up...My husband found it on Art Bell's website a few years back - I lost my original copy off the computer,so I can't credit the original chef, but luckily had written it down for a friend,who copied it for me. I've changed it somewhat,like the hominy in it...it's definitely adjustable for those of you who like more "heat" when you eat.
My Private Note
big pot ...
Units: US | Metric
POTATO SOUP BASE
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or more!)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 lb pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or more)
- 1POTATO SOUP BASE: Heat oil in 2 quart saucepan, add all ingredients, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2Set aside.
- 3PORK Dredge pork chunks in the flour mixture, heat vegetable oil in a sturdy Dutch oven or soup pot, and cook the pork in batches till browned.
- 4Once you're done, place all the pork back in the pot.
- 5Add the SOUP BASE, and potatoes,chilies,chicken broth,and hominy.
- 6Bring to a boil,then simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- 7Creative Additions-- For a richer flavor, add sour cream to the soup base.
- 8Use shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack for garnish.
- 9Serve with tortilla chips or Saltines.
- 10I sometimes add Frank's Hot Sauce to MY bowl.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Green Chili Stew
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.7
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.5 mg
- Sodium 738.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 16.4 g