1/2 Photos of Pork and Green Chili Chimichangas
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
These pork chimichangas are delicious and easy to make. I have been perfecting this recipe for the past 15 years. They are baked, instead of deep fried. This recipe makes 10 entree size or 18 lunch sized chimis. They are also an economical choice with only 7 common ingredients. You will love the flavor of these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut pork butt into 1" cubes. Place cut pork into large dutch oven, cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Uncover, stir and continue cooking until meat is well browned and juices are almost gone. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- 2Then add water to pan, enough to cover meat completely. Turn heat up to high and cook until water boils, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 3While meat is cooking, prepare the flour tortillas. Spread a light amount of butter on both sides of each tortilla, set aside in a pile. When you are done buttering them, cover with the plastic bag they came in, so they will remain pliable.
- 4Spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- 5When timer is done for the pork, uncover and turn heat up to high. Cook over high heat until all the water is gone from the pan. When that is done, reduce heat to low and add crushed oregano leaves, cumin, salt, pepper, vinegar and diced green chiles. Stir well and then turn heat off.
- 6Shred the meat using to large forks.
- 7Set your oven to 500 degrees.
- 8To assemble each chimichanga: Place 3-4 tablespoons of meat mixture on lower 3rd of tortilla, spoon meat mixture to within a 1/2″ of each side of tortilla. Then take left side and fold over meat, do the same on right side, like the top flap of an envelope. Then roll up towards 12 o'clock while keeping sides overlapping the filling just slightly.
- 9Depending on the size of your tortillas it may take two turns, set them seam side down on a baking sheet. Once they are all in the pan, spread butter on the tops of the chimichangas.
- 10Then bake in oven on middle rack at 500 degree for 6-8 minutes.
- 11Depending on your oven, start checking the chimi's after 6 minutes. You want them golden brown and delicious.
- 12Remove from oven and serve with freshly made guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo.
- 13Cooks Notes: Depending on the size of your flour tortillas and whether you want to make 'Entree' or 'Lunch' size chimichangas, this recipe will make up to 18 chimi's. If you use 3 tablespoons of filling in each you will get 18 smaller, or skinnier, chimichangas.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork and Green Chili Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.0
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 1273.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 31.8 g