Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Asian stir-fry. This is based on one of my favorite dishes at my favorite Chinese restaurant. Feel free to adjust seasonings to your personal preference. We like ours spicy and usually use more of the ginger, garlic and chiles.
- 1 large eggplant (or several small Asian)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork, cut in thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (I use gluten-free tamari sauce)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon dried hot chili flakes
- 1 scallion, sliced thin (for garnish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Peel eggplant and slice into pieces approximately 1x2 inches and 1/4 inch thick. If using Asian eggplants, peel and slice into 1/4 slices.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick wok or large skillet. Stir-fry eggplant strips until soft, drain, leaving oil in pan. Set eggplant aside.
- Toss garlic and ginger in the hot oil. As soon as it turns fragrant add the pork and toss until just cooked through.
- Add eggplant back to pan, stir to combine pork and eggplant.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and stir. Turn off heat and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes to blend flavors.
- Plate the eggplant and sprinkle with garnishes.
Delicious!! Wonderful flavors! I followed the recipe except I added 1/2 tsp of chili flakes instead of a full tsp. Added Carrots and onions and it was a hit! Will make it again!
GREAT, low-carb recipe for the pork roast and eggplant that had to be cooked before they rotted. I also added red bell pepper, celery, assorted mushrooms, and doubled the aromatics and sauce. Glad I found this, thanks!
This was delicious! I've been telling my spouse for years that Asians really know what to do with eggplant (not that you could ever find a Chinese restaurant that serves it in rural Maine!); now he got to find that out for himself. My only caveat is that it could have used a little more sauce -- or perhaps I just used a larger eggplant than necessary and it absorbed all the liquid? All the same, I'll make this again soon!