Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Pretty tasty soup and something different. I found this online courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens. I am estimating prep time and serving size.
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles, broken (not including seasoning packet)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- Place meat in a 3-1/2- or 4 -1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, edamame, water chestnuts, sweet pepper, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, crushed red pepper, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Skim off fat. Stir in ramen noodles (reserve seasoning packet for another use). Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
My husband and I really like this. I used 2 - 1 lb. pieces of pork roast, cooked in the crock pot for about 6 hours, and then used two forks to shred. You can buy edamame shelled in grocery freezer sections. Omitted the water chestnuts and ramen noodles. Also, we thought it was better after the first day.
I made this soup for New Year's Day and we loved it. My husband said it was the best soup he's ever had! I used boneless pork chops and I think I will cut them into 1/2" cubes instead of 1" cubes next time. And yes, definitely shell your edamame before adding it. Also, I skipped a step; I didn't brown the pork before adding to the slow cooker and it turned out just fine. I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting!
Very good soup. The broth is really nice. A little kick to it. The ginger really brightens it up. Made for Bargain Basement Use It or Lose It tag.