Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
The pairing of sweet potatoes, carrots and apples go perfectly with the pork shoulder and make a nice counterpoint to the cider. It's also really fast and easy to get together.
- 566.99 g sweet potatoes, about 2 medium, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 small carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 907.18 g boneless pork shoulder, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 59.14 ml flour
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dried sage
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml apple cider
- Layer sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, pork, and apple in a 3 1/2-quart or larger slow-cooker.
- Stir flour, salt, sage, thyme and pepper in a small bowl to combine. Add apple cider; stir until smooth. Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours until pork and sweet potatoes are tender when pierced.
Very nice! This is not a spicy stew so perfect for young children. Easy to put together. Served ours with Pumpkin Seed Bread and Garlic Herb Butter. Mine was done in 7 hours. Thank you TasteTester for posting. Made for Theirs, Yours, & Mine tag.
This was very easy to throw together in the crock pot. I put it on low and left for 8 eight hours, It made the whole house smell wonderful !! The Stew was great and had a wonderful taste, but the sweet potatoes cooked to much as you can see in the picture they cooked almost completely down to nothing.I think 6 1/2 hours would have done the job.Or if your at home just add later.<br/>Out of 7 people in the house all but one loved it. And she does not like a sweet flavor with meat. This has a very sweet broth to it. Served with salad and warm crusty bread this was a fabulous dinner in my book. I also doubled the broth, just my preference to have more broth to dip bread into.
Just wanted something different in the crockpot ! Did take more than 15 min to prepare, but flavors were all on the "go-together" list. 1 cup of liquid was not nearly enough -- added at least 1 more cup after 5 hours. Turned out a tad sweeter than our usual preference, but has potential for tweaking. Thanks for posting, Taste Tester.