Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Family Circle magazine. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon!
- 1 (2 -3 lb) boneless pork loin roast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage, about 1 pound
- 1 lb small baby red potato
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and cubed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Season the pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Add the cabbage to a 6 quart slow cooker. Add potatoes, apples on top in an even layer, and then the pork roast.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, wine, sugar, caraway seeds and allspice. Pour around meat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Uncover cooker and transfer pork roast to a cutting board, Cover loosely with foil and ket rest 5 minutes. Season cabbage with remaining salt.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a platter (leave most of liquid in slow cooker). Slice pork roast and serve on top of cabbage mixture.
This was very easy to make. I cooked it on High for 4 1/2 hours. The pork cooked perfect, with a hint of pink. It held it's shape when I carved it and was so very moist. I wonder if I can make a gravy out of the beautiful red juice in the bottom of the crock. I'll have to give it a try and see how it tastes. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013
I love crock pot recipes and this was very easy to put together. Only problem I had was the cabbage, apples and pork were done but not my potatoes. I did use very small red potatoes but they were still a little hard at 7 hours. Next time I will cube the potatoes. We liked the taste of the cabbage and potatoes, but felt the pork was a tad boring, but if ate with the cabbage onto top of it with some of the cabbage juice it added flavor. Made for ZWT2011.
this was very good and easy,a great winter recipe.It was cold and rainy it was just the right thing. Will make again.Flavors were just right.Didn't change a thing.