Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is adapted from one by Sara Moulton. This recipe used pinto beans and some Spanish ingredients.
- 8 -10 ounces spanish chorizo, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry or 1⁄3 cup vermouth or 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned chopped tomatoes (fire roasted is great)
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chorizo in half lengthwise and then crosswise into about 1/2-inch pieces. Heat up the olive oil in a big saucepan, over med-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the pieces are lightly browned . Remove the chorizo and set aside.
- Remove all but about 2 T of the chorizo flavored oil from the pan. measure the chorizo-flavored oil from the saucepan and put the pan back over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 1 more minute. Next, add the sherry and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, or until it has reduced by approximately half.
- Next, add the beans, tomatoes and chicken stock to the saucepan. Simmer this for about 15 mintues. Mash the mixture a bit to crush some of the beans. Lastly, stir in the chorizo and season with salt and pepper , to taste.
This was really good. I made one change, using fresh Mexican-style chorizo instead of Spanish (the fresh is easier for me to find). I used three links, which was about 11.5 oz. I left out the oil, just using the fat from the sausage to brown the veg. I also used all red bell pepper (personal preference). Otherwise followed the recipe, using wine. Thanks for sharing!
i did actually use pork and beans for this as i had stocked up on 4th of july beans its wonderful this could very well be one of your pantry dishes for when your in a hurry . i did sprinkle on the panko which i liked but did not put in the oven its 100 degrees here and im just not doing that lol . try this recipe i really liked it zaar world tour 8