Recipe by ellie_
For this recipe you need a large (5-6 qt) slow cooker. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
Top Review by Sydney Mike
My son & DIL keep after me to use kale in some of my cooking, & until now I've pretty much ignored them! And, since the two of them are vegetarians, i made this not for them but for a neighborhood get-together, & everyone loved it. Well, almost everyone! The adults enjoyed it but the kids, not so much! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 8 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium high heat heat oil and then add pork (in batches if necessary) and cook, stirring, adding more oil if necessary until pork is browned (5 - 15 minutes). Transfer to slow cooker as meat browns.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to skillet and cook, stirring until softened (3-5 minutes). Stir in garlic and spices (oregano - pepper) and cook stirring another minute or so. Stir in wine and vinegar and cook stirring another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a boil. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Stir in beans.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours) or until pork is tender and falling apart.
- In a small cup combine paprika and wine. Add to crockpot.
- Add kale in batches. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.