Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
From the book, Soul Food Cookery by Dr. Inez Yeargan Kaiser.
- 1 lb hot dog, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup (use half the can)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 small onion, diced
- bacon, strips
- Mix all ingredients together except bacon slices.
- Put into casserole.
- Place bacon slices on top of beans before baking.
- Bake at 350° covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 8 minutes.
Great comfort food! I used Ball Park hot dogs, a 28 ounce can of Bush Beans, dried minced onion, and brown mustard. Doubled the amount of ketchup and mustard but used the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar as that was sweet enough for us. Baked for 40 minutes covered and than 20 minutes uncovered. The bacon did not really cook as much as I would have liked it to but did add a nice smokey flavor. Will make this again! Made and reviewed for the Think Pink - Breast Cancer Awareness Tag Game.