Recipe by Normaone
This is a different way to make the traditional combination of pork and apple. It's comfort food for us.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork, diced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 ounces dry sherry
- 1 9 inch pie shell, uncooked (Pillsbury-refrigerated)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled,cooked,hot
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- Brown the pork with 1/4 cup of the butter and the chopped onion.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes,covered.
- Add the apples, thyme, A-1 Sauce and parsley.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry and pour over pork.
- Stir well, add sherry and remove from heat.
- Pour into pie shell.
- In a separate bowl, mash the hot potatoes with 1/4 cup of the butter and the milk.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread over the pork mixture to cover.
- Dot the potatoes with the remaining butter.
- Bake 25 minutes, until golden.
- I like to use a pastry bag with a wide tip to pipe the potatoes onto the pork mixture.
- It gives the pie a more attractive appearance when it comes out of the oven.