Prep 12 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Charleston SC restaurant, in a collection of recipes. the recipe is that of Porgy & Bess that was on Market Street
- 2 cups black beans
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ham hock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (optional)
- cover beans and soak overnight with cold water.
- drain beans and place in large pot and fill with 8 cups water and ham.
- hock. cook on low heat until soft. saute onions, garlic in butter and add to.
- beans. add all other ingredietns except sherry. cook at low simmer for 3.
- hours. remove ham hock and remove meat. return meat to pot, add sherry.
- until until hot.
- serve with garnish of shredded cheese if desired.