Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Beefy meatball patties rolled in rice and cooked in tomato sauce. Not gourmet, but something a little different.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 (26 ounce) jar Prego spaghetti sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- Mix together: beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, paprika, and green pepper.
- Form into balls using about 1/3 cup meat mixture for each.
- Roll each ball in rice to coat lightly, then flatten somewhat to form thick patties.
- Heat Prego and chili powder in deep saucepan.
- Add patties to sauce, making sure there is sauce all over the patties (otherwise your rice will not cook well and will be crunchy--yuk).
- Cook covered over medium heat until done (about 45 minutes), turning patties as needed to keep well covered in sauce.
I incorporated the rice into the meat mixture the way we did in the 50's and formed them into meatballs. Only 1 tsp chili powder went in and that was enough for our taste, slightly less would have been better. We're wimps when it comes to that. Made for New Kids on the Block, a tag game.