Recipe by Darlene Summers
This recipe actually came from the Rice-a-Roni box, but I added the mushroom soup--it gives it far more flavor. We have eaten this since my girls were small they are now 30 & 36 (oh dear, I feel old).
Top Review by OahuPat Abrams
The rice-a-roni in the meatballs didn't cook and was crunchy. The sauce, however, was tasty. Where it said "make gravy with seasoning mix", I added about 1/2 C. water and then cooked it 30 minutes. Maybe I should have added more water and/or cooked longer? My husband said not to make it again.
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) box beef flavored Rice-A-Roni
- 1 egg
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- This recipe may be increased as many times as needed.
- Mix together egg, hamburger and rice & vermicelli mixture (not seasoning mixture).
- Make into meatballs--all same size (your preference).
- Brown meatballs on all sides, frying without a lid.
- POUR OFF ALL FAT.
- Mix 2 1/2 cup water and the seasoning packet to make the gravy; pour gravy mix over pan of meatballs.
- Simmer about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Pour mushroom soup over meatballs and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or till gravy is smooth (simmer with lid ON).