Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Funny name, great dinner! Easy and good for a night when you don't really feel like making anything too difficult.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, rice, salt and pepper, green pepper, onion, and 1/2 cup water.
- Form 1 1/2" balls and place in ungreased 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups water and soup in another bowl and pour over meatballs.
- Cover dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes.
I decided to add the green pepper and onion, for flavor. The meatballs completely disintegrated. Although the flavor was ok, it was kind of bland. I turned the meatballs over for the last 7 minutes of cooking, because some of the rice looked raw. It did finally cook ok.
These looked odd, but were really very good. I added my usual seasonings to the ground beef (worchester, steak seasoning, garlic salt, pepper) and cooked it uncovered. It cooked faster, but the meat and rice tended to dry out on the top, so I had to flip them every 15 minutes. They were much better than I expected them to be, especially for something so simple and so cheap. Which I mean in the best of all possible ways. :) Thank you for sharing!
These were great!!! a nice quick and simple meal for the weeknight. I made them with ground turkey and added seasoning salt and onion and garlic powder I was out of onions. Thanks I will make these again