Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are full of flavor and make a wonderfully rich tomato gravy to serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or the meatballs themselves. These are always well received and I think that they have a much better flavor than the tomato soup based sauces.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons black pepper
- Combine tomato juice, chili powder, allspice, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the rest of the ingredients, mix well, and form 1/4 cup of the meat mixer into meatballs ( or I use a large cookie scoop) and place them in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the meatballs, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Made for Fall PAC 08. Simple home-cooking at its best. Loved it...served with boiled potatoes...Yummy!