Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a delicious way to use hamburger and rice. It goes great with mashed potaoes. Another great recipe handed down to me by my mother.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 16 ounces water
- Mix the beef, onion salt, pepper, and rice in a bowl. Form 1 inch diameter balls and place them in a skillet. brown the meatballs over medium heat on all sides. drain the grease.
- In a large saucepan mix the tomato soup, tomato paste and 2 cups of water. mix well with a wisk and bring to a simmer. Once the meatballs are browned place them in the tomato mixture. simmer for 1 hour stirring often.
- I usually double this recipe because we like these the next day as well.
These are very tasty. Even hubby, who will not eat rice if he can see it, liked it. I used instant brown rice - it's more nutritious and easier to hide as the color is closer to the color of the beef, lol. Served over whole grain pasta.
I remember having these as a kit (& that was a long, long time ago)! These are probably healthier, though, since I used really lean ground beef & low-salt tomato soup & paste! Very nice, very enjoyable, very good comfort food (for me, at least)! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick-A-Chef]