Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from a neighborhood cookbook from Kaysville, Utah. I have made this once a month for about 20 years. I live at a high altitude and always bake at a higher temperature and always test internal temperature of middle meatball to make sure they are done. I left original I time and temperature in the recipe. I usually make a little extra sauce so use a 4 quart casserole but a 3 quart would probably be big enough. ( I make extra sauce because with just two of us there are leftovers, and they can get a little dry.) I make into 9 fairly large meatballs.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups v 8 vegetable juice or 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Mix all meatball ingredients together and form into desired size balls.
- Place meatballs in a fairly large covered casserole dish.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together.
- Simmer sauce on stove top for 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Bake in the oven, covered for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.