Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty Oriental Style meatball recpe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 3 green onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 slices fresh ginger (1/4-inch-thick slices)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- green onion, julienned strips (for garnish)
- red pepper, julienned strips (for garnish)
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add red pepper and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add green onions, garlic, and minced ginger; cook while stirring for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a medium size bowl and stir in hamburger, uncooked rice, soy sauce, cayenne, and egg until well blended.
- Line a 15 1/2x10 1/2 inch pan with waxed paper.
- Shape the meat mixture to form 1 1/2 inch meatballs and place in pan.
- Using the same skillet, heat the chicken broth, sesame oil, ginger slices, and 1 1/2 cups water to boiling over high heat.
- Arrange the meatballs in the simmering broth mixture and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve meatballs with broth in shallow bowls and garnish with green onion and red pepper strips.
These were very tasty (but I must say the sauce was a bit unattractive with bits of meat floating about in it). I especially liked the bits of red bell pepper and minced ginger in the meatballs. Rather than serve it in "broth", I thickened it a bit with a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch and served the meatballs with sauce over a bed of rice.
Delicious! I poured the broth through a wire-mesh strainer to make the broth more attractive, then added it back to the meatballs. The whole family loved it. I made a double recipe, and froze some for another day. For some reason, the texture of the frozen ones was even better than the first batch, a little firmer. Taste remained delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Yum!