Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
When my husband and I first met, his great aunt had made these for us on a visit. These were so wonderful I asked her for the recipe. She is of Swedish descent and a wonderful cook.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, uncooked
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup rice, boiled 10 minutes
- chopped celery
- chopped onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 cup water
- Combine first 5 ingredients together in mixing bowl, mix well.
- Form meat mixture into walnut size balls.
- Place meatballs in greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Cut up celery and onion over the top of the meatballs.
- Combine soup and water and pour over all.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
I made this for a visit from my brother and his grown son and they really enjoyed them. I made one adaption. I used my food processor and chopped the celery and onions into the meat mixture. Then I added the rice by hand. It was very easy preparation. It is kind of like cabbage rolls without the cabbage. I served with perogies and vegetables. I really enjoyed the leftovers, too. I will definitely make again.
Excellent recipe! Made it just as stated. My husband loved it. Used 93% lean beef, basmati rice and campbell's tomato soup. Couldn't have been easier. My thanks to the mother-in-law.
These were very good ! I added my finley diced celery, and onion to the meat mix and used 1 cup brown Minute Rice instead of the par boiled white rice. This is a great "warm up the house" winter recipe !! Served with recipe#85629. A perfect pairing !!