Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Towns, Trails and Special Times. Not your everyday meatballs!
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 118.29 ml instant rice, uncooked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 42.52 g dry onion soup mix (or vegetable soup mix)
- 59.14 ml sweet green pepper, finely chopped (or jalapeno pepper)
- 396.89 g stewed tomatoes
- 340.19 g light beer (may substitute with beef stock or broth)
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 44.37 ml flour
- Mix together the ground beef, rice, eggs, dry soup mix and pepper. Shape into 6 large balls. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, beer and chili powder in a large, heavy, deep skillet. Heat to boiling over medium heat.
- Carefully drop meatballs into hot tomato mixture; cover and simmer for 45 to 55 minutes. Lift out meatballs and thicken sauce with 3 tbsp flour mixed with cold water, if desired.
- Serve meatballs with sauce in deep bowls with cornbread or crusty bread.
Awesome!! Hubby didn't quite get that there was rice in the meatballs so we had a rice overload; he wanted them served over rice. But these were delicious!! I used a can of diced tomatoes rather than stewed (all I had on hand), beef broth over beer. I actually can't remember if I used a pepper or not. I made mine into 7 balls, and will probably make them a bit smaller next time. But there WILL be a next time. Again and again. I might try freezing some, too.
This is so easy to do. I used lean ground beef, and since I didn't have dry onion soup mix, I used dried onion flakes and onion powder. I forgot to add the green pepper. I used a can of diced tomatoes. Instead of beer, I used beef broth. And instead of chili powder, I used taco seasoning. I didn't use the flour. It's a tasty dish. And I got 11 meatballs. Thanks FolkDiva :) Made for 123 hit wonders
I really enjoyed these - tasted like meatloaf balls. I did make a couple of changes - I subbed beef broth for the light beer (I never have any alcohol in the house) and used instant brown rice instead of instant white rice. I omitted the flour. I served with Spaghettini Verdi - very satisfying lunch! I made WAY more than 6 balls - I must have rolled them smaller than I was supposed to - but it was a happy mistake. They were great! Made for Photo Tag.