Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother always made these when said we were "REALLY" hungry. Giant meaty, tomato meat balls.
- Thaw beef, chop onions into small pieces (Some people prefer minced).
- In a bowl combine beef, onion and egg.
- Mix well with hands.
- Roll into "meat balls". Any size will do. My husband loves them the size of a tennis ball.
- Put rice into large bowl.
- Roll "meatballs in rice so they are coated (making them little porcupines).
- Place in bake ware dish.
- Pour both cans of tomato soup into another bowl and mix with one can of water.
- Pour over porcupine balls.
- Turn porcupine balls over and spoon some of the soup over them.
- Cover and bake at 350°C for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until meat is well done (approximately 30 minutes).
I've been craving my mother's porcupine balls but I can't seem to reproduce it from memory. I'm SO glad to find this recipe. My rice kept not cooking... now I know that she used minute rice and will try this recipe soon! Thank you!
Just as I remember as a child as well. My neighbor use to make them and always saved a couple for me! These are great. My children and their friends think they are awesome... which makes me happy! AAA+++
This is the true porcupine balls I remember. This recipe was awesome and so easy to make. Thanks