This is the risotto recipe I learned to make risotto with, and it's still my favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth or 6 cups canned broth, low salt variety
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushroom, soaked in
- 2 cups luke-warm water, for 30 minutes,drained,squeezed out,then chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring the broth to a simmer on the burner next to where you are cooking the risotto.
- 2Put a ladle next to the pot where you can reach it.
- 3In a deep, heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven on medium high heat, melt 1 tbl butter with the olive oil.
- 4Add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent, not brown, then add the rice and stir until it is well coated with the butter/olive oil.
- 5Continue to stir the rice until it begins to take on a golden cast.
- 6Stir in 1/2 cup of the simmering broth.
- 7Cook, stirring constantly, but slowly, with the wooden spatula or a wooden spoon, scraping the sides and bottom of the pot clean as you stir, until all the liquid is gone.
- 8You must be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot clean as you stir or the rice will stick to it.
- 9When there is no more liquid in the pot, add another 1/2 cup, continuing to stir as before.
- 10Keep the heat at medium high, and continue stirring and adding broth when the previous broth has been absorbed.
- 11When the rice has cooked for about 10 minutes, add the chopped porcini and 1/2 of the filtered water.
- 12Continue to stir and when there is no more liquid, add 1/2 cup more of the mushroom water, stirring, letting it evaporate, then adding more until you have used it all up.
- 13Finish cooking the rice with the broth, or, if you use up all of the broth, with hot water.
- 14Cook until the rice is very tender, but firm to the bite, with no more liquid in the pot.
- 15In total, this will probably take about 30 minutes.
- 16Take the risotto off the heat, add some pepper, the remaining tablespoon of butter, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan.
- 17Stir, taste, adjust for salt and pepper if needed.
- 18Serve at once with a green salad and fresh bread, with more parmesan cheese on the side for serving.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porcini Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.5
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 27.3 mg
- Sodium 1856.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 22.0 g