Recipe by Elly in Canada
A Bon Appétit recipe I have not tried yet, will update once I do. This is a traditional Hungarian style latke, especially good with roasted meats or poultry.
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, mushrooms*
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 7 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs, preferably made from egg bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place porcini in small bowl. Add 3/4 cup hot water and let stand 45 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve, reserving soaking liquid. Coarsely chop porcini.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped porcini and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add reserved porcini soaking liquid and paprika; cook until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside to cool.
- (Mushroom mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Finely grate potatoes by hand or in processor fitted with grating disk.
- Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover; let stand 5 minutes. Drain potatoes. Wrap in dry kitchen towel; twist ends to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. It is important to have the potatoes dry.
- Place potatoes in large bowl. Mix in egg, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches, drop potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into hot oil, spacing apart. Using spatula, flatten each into 4-inch round and cook until crisp and brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow oil to get hot before adding more potato mixture.
- Transfer to plates and serve.
- *Available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.
- Prep time includes soaking time for mushrooms and potatoes.