This is an easy and delicious soup. The porcini mushrooms add richness and depth of flavour not often found in vegetarian soups. For a lighter broth, skip the purreeing step. The soup is based on a recipe from "Gourmet Magazine" (Dec. 2008). Soup, without dill and parsley, can be made 3 days ahead and chilled. Add herbs after reheating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (1 cup)
- 6 cups tepid water, plus
- 2 cups hot water, divided
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs white mushrooms, sliced or 1 1/2 lbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill (you can also use thyme)
- 1Soak porcini in 2 cups hot water 15 minutes.
- 2Cook onion in butter with 1 teaspoon salt in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown,.
- 310 to 12 minutes. Add celery, carrot, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer porcini with a slotted spoon to pot and strain soaking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a large glass measure.
- 5Add white mushrooms to pot with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, remaining 6 cups water, and porcini-soaking liquid. Simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes.
- 6Purée 1 cup vegetables and 1 cup liquid in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids), then return to pot. Stir in parsley, dill, and salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Porcini Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.4
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 24.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g