Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a healthy gravy.
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3⁄8 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
- Whisk in broth, optional salt and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
- Purée gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.