Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great party fondue that adds porcini mushrooms plus ham for dipping.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces coarsely grated gruyere cheese
- 8 ounces coarsely grated emmenthaler cheese
- ciabatta, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb smoked ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place 1 cup hot water in small bowl; add dried porcini. Let stand until mushrooms are soft, about 25 minutes. Remove mushrooms from water with slotted spoon; finely chop.
- Transfer soaking liquid to large skillet, leavinf sediment behind. Add garlic and chopped mushrooms. Simmer over medium heat until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place fondue pot on stand; light candle or Sterno. Mix 1 tablespoons wine and cornstarch in small bowl.
- Bring remaining 1 1/4 cups wine to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cheeses by small handfuls, stirring until melted. Add cornstarch mixture. Bring to simmer. Stir until fondue thickens slightly and begins to bubble, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour fondue into prepared fondue pot. Swirl in porcini mushrooms. Serve with ciabatta and ham for dipping.