Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
From Bon Appétit, December 2005, by Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes. Prep time includes soaking time for mushrooms. Cooking time include almost 2 hour of simmering to reduce sauce. Companion recipes are Standing Rib Roast With Porcini and Bacon Sauce, Horseradish Cream Sauce, and Green Onion-Parmesan Popovers.
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon, chopped
- 9 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, diced
- Place porcini mushrooms in small bowl; add 2 cups boiling water.
- Let soak until mushrooms soften, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Strain, reserving mushrooms and liquid separately.
- Sauté bacon in large saucepan over medium heat until golden.
- Add garlic and shallots; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add fresh mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes.
- Transfer half of mushrooms to bowl; reserve.
- Add drained porcini and wine to pan.
- Boil 15 minutes.
- Mix in all broth. Add porcini liquid, leaving sediment behind.
- Return mixture to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until mixture is reduced to 5 cups, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from top; add rosemary. Simmer 3 minutes; discard rosemary. Reserve roasting pan with juices.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover mushroom-wine mixture and reserved mushrooms separately; chill.).
- Place reserved roasting pan over 2 burners. Add mushroom-wine mixture and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Strain back into same saucepan, pressing out all liquid.
- Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in reserved mushrooms from bowl.
- Whisk in butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
I made this exactly as written. It was superb. What a wonderful, different way to enjoy prime rib.