Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Tender succulent boneless pork roast is rubbed with olive oil and seasonings and slowly roasted to perfection in the crock pot until it is falling apart, then stuffed into warmed and buttered Italian ciabatta rolls. A wonderfully simplified version of the classic Porchetta Italian Market Place Sandwich by Nigella Lawson.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork roast, trimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 10 italian ciabatta rolls
- softened butter, to serve
- Rub the roast all over with the olive oil, then rub with the seasonings. Place roast in bottom of crock pot, and top with the bay leaves and chopped onion.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then reduce heat to LOW and cook 10-12 hours more until meat is falling apart, yet tender, and done.
- Remove to a large cutting board and let cool slightly, then use two forks to pull apart the meat into chunks, discarding the bay leaves.
- Stuff into warmed and buttered Italian ciabatta rolls, and dig in!
Excellent flavor! Very easy to put together and it smelled incredible when I walked in the door for work! Adding this to my regular rotation.
Great combination of flavors...fennel, rosemary, cloves, garlic all worked so well together. A great alternative to the standard bbq pulled pork for a summer dinner sandwich. Loved by adults and all ages of kids.
I made this for friends and they loved it. Make sure to have extra rolls!