Recipe by SargesMom
This is my dad's fried egg sandwich "recipe". He used to make these for us (all 4 kids and my mom) on Sunday nights after church. I recently introduced my DH to these sandwiches and he has declared them "The BEST" sandwich on earth. ;) *Note, you can use whatever type of lunch meat you have on hand, or bacon, or sausage, etc. It's a personal preference kind of thing.* These directions are for 1 sandwich. You can, of course, increase the number as needed. I hope you love these as much as we do. I lovingly refer to these as a heart attack on bread. Definitely not for those watching their cholesterol and calories.
- 1 -2 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice cheese (I use Kraft singles because they melt well)
- 2 slices bread (toasted)
- salt and pepper
- onion, sliced
- tomatoes, sliced
- 1 -2 slice ham (or whatever lunch meat you prefer)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet melt the butter over medium heat.
- Crack the egg(s) and add to the pan and cook to desired doneness. I usually break the yolk and flip it over so it isn't too runny.
- Toast the bread and put mayonnaise or Miracle Whip on the bread.
- Add salt and pepper to taste on the egg and the tomato slices.
- Add egg onto toast.
- Add cheese slice onto egg while the egg is still hot.
- After you remove the egg from the pan, put the meat into the pan to heat it up / pan fry it to your liking. I keep mine in the skillet until it's just a smidge brown. I do fry it on both sides.
- After the meat is done, put it on top of the cheese.
- Add slice of onion.
- Add slice of tomato.
- Put the other piece of bread on top.
- Serve warm.
- Grab a napkin, because these are MESSY!